i don't wanna spend my time waiting for lightning to strike

Monday, September 27, 2010

"I'm like a princess in a castle high,
waiting for a kiss to bring me back to life
but i don't want to spend my time
waiting for just another guy."


I know I'm still young but something that's been occurring to me more and more recently- in a real, not clichéd, way- is that life is short. My son is growing up fast, my college career flew by in a blur, and as amazingly youthful as I still am!;) - for some reason bed time at 9 p.m. has become a luxury in my busy little life. When did that happen? And despite the fact that my life has enough activity to fill the hours between 6 a.m. and midnight with me still not getting everything done I need to, let alone want to, I still live with that young-adult feeling that life hasn't truly begun and there's something imminent around the corner that will jump-start my real adult life. I don't want to look back at 30 and realise I spent my 20's waiting instead of living. Obviously early parenthood followed by late education has postponed the "natural" course of life events and I'm not near to being settled in my vocation. But as John Lennon said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." And as Sheryl Crow said, "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got." That's enough quotage for one post, but my point is I have future plans to make and look forward to but I need to not live my life like there's this hole waiting to be filled. And I need to not just treat each day like one long to-do list and enjoy the irreplaceable and fleeting moments. And maybe sometimes, go to bed at 9. The dishes will be there in the morning...



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Totally agree :) Such an important lesson for ourselves. I've been having similar quarterlife (or third-life?) crisis moments where it's dawned on me that we need to act on the things we want, cherish what we have and live in the now to truly be happy. And if you don't know what it is you're waiting for...you'll be waiting forever!

    ReplyDelete